Saturday, February 18, 2012

"Home Again, Home Again......"

After a long day of errands, a couple of visits, some practice, etc.....Tippy is ready for bed! Despite the fact that I say he has two speeds, slow mo', and no mo'.....he does keep up with my day. I was such the proud "Mama" while we were out and about. Tippy keeps pace with me, slow if it's a bad day and slightly quicker if it's a "normal" day.

A little bit about our day yesterday first. It was a very bad day for me with regards to pain. My back was so bad that I had to use both of my Canadian Crutches to keep myself as upright as possible. The slightest "slouch" and the pain was so bad that it made me nauseous. I was moving very slowly and deliberately to minimize my discomfort. It really didn't help much, and really, no position was ideal. It's a good thing I have "Mr. Slow Mo", for he didn't require me to make any major corrections to his behavior and I was thankful for it. We worked on "tug" in training. Tug is used when you want the dog to tug a rope on a door. You walk/roll up to the door with the dog positioned to come head on to the rope. still holding the lead you give the command, "tug", and the dog grabs the rope in his mouth and tugs it stepping backward thus opening the door. When the door is adequately open, you give the command, "hold", and the dog stops moving back and stands firm holding the door open. As you move through the open door you support the door slightly and give the command, "give". The dog releases the rope and follows you through the door. We also worked on "Fetch", and "Fetch Phone". Brian placed several different items on the floor of differing textures. We moved around saying "are you ready" in an upbeat, higher voice and "fetch" when we arrived at an item. The dog picks the item up in his mouth and then you say "hold". The dog brings the item to you and, if necessary, you give the command, "closer". The dog brings the item as close as possible. You then tap or tug slightly on the item to be sure the dog is indeed "holding" the item. Once satisfied, you give the command, "give" while holding onto the item. We reward them with a treat, a "higher" value treat when the item is either metal or difficult to grab. For "fetch phone", the phone has been scented with vanilla. You move over to the phone and give the command. The dog picks the phone up with his mouth, and then you follow the commands for "fetch". Then, Brian hid the phone out of sight, but not too difficult, and the dog has to "scent" for the location when given the command "find phone". This is in case the phone is not in it's normal location. Again, once the dog has the phone you follow the "fetch" commands. We also reviewed Level 1, and Level 2 Recall. We also had a visit at the house from Sherrie Forest to discuss how to know when the time comes to "retire" your service dog, and what your options are. Debbie picked us up to bring us home and I left my car at NEADS. That way I wasn't driving all the way home, and a day and a half driving back. It's just about a 2 hour drive and I'm sure it would have been too much driving in too short of a time span. We went to a "Texas Steakhouse",(or is it "Roadhouse"?), and we both had a prime rib dinner.....it's been way to long since I've had it.....it was amazing! I also ordered one of the Sam Adams spring ales, but since I hardly ever drink alcohol anymore I didn't even finish a third of it. It was good, but I just don't enjoy it any more. Tippy was great at the restaurant, and rested quietly under the table, then slept the entire way home! Great day....so glad to be home!

Today was our first day on our own. We started by exchanging some shampoo at Walmart. He gives me goose bumps as he constantly checks in with me as we walk. Tippy seems to almost know what my next step is. As I come to an aisle that I want to go down I of course slow a bit. Tippy does the same and is right in step with me as I make the turn. He stands patiently......though probably thinking, "Does it really take this long to find the right shampoo?" I drop the shampoo in the hand basket, and turn to head for another item all the while with my new partner right alongside. Tippy waited in the check-out line very patiently as well, watching me for the slightest command. We went to my favorite pet store, "All Pets Club", so I could introduce Tippy to the manager, Mark. They were all so kind to me and Alli every time we went and they still ask how she's doing. Of course......I had to get Tippy a new stuffy that squeaks. It's in the shape of a bone, is cream in color, and it has the look of lamb's wool. He loves it, yay! No matter what store we went into, or how long we were there, Tippy gets an A+!!!! It feels so good to have a new partner! It's also great to have company in the car that I can talk to and he looks like he actually enjoys listening to me.....except when he fall asleep and snores or groans! I do that to humans, too, so it's nothing new....oh, well. My day ended with a wonderful visit with Cindy and her grandson, Dylan, who has been so excited to meet Tippy ever since he found out I was to receive him!

Tomorrow we will be going to church. Since Tippy is taller and more solid than Alli, it will be interesting to see what the best way will be to get him into the pew with the least amount of commotion! I am on the "Membership" committee, and I'm pretty sure we're hosting "coffee hour" for new members. So that means after the hour service, it will be another 45 minutes to an hour for the coffee hour. It will also be interesting since my back is still not letting up at all. I really hope that the 2 crutches are not a fixture in my life. I try to go about as if everything is fine. I don't complain very often and I try to keep myself busy whether home or about. Well, it is what it is, so I guess I'll make lemonade with my lemons......

Have a good night,
Peace,
Wendy and Tippy

No comments:

Post a Comment