Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Have Faith, People, Have Faith.......

I thought that after I'd made such a big deal about Tippy's size and speed, or lack there of, it would be only fair to include a picture of The Great Tippy On The Trail! Actually, it's obviously taken at the same time and place as last night's, but he's using the "shnozz" I spoke of. That's something to see! He may take his time following a command in order to do it just right, but I'm willing to bet he'd be a great tracking dog, even without the usually necessary drive! Once again today, while exercising in the training room, he found every last morsel of "treats" that was left behind.....I'm sure of it!!! He'll chase after the ball or rope, and on his way back he'll spy the bit and after delivering the toy, he turns, goes right to the spot, checks out the area so as not to miss anything scrumptious, then comes back to have a chase again! Sometimes he'll stop mid-run, put the toy down, devour the tidbit, pick up the toy and come bounding back. Today I watched him figure out that if the ball is rolling and he puts his foot on it, it stays put. And, when he takes his paw off and nudges the ball it will roll again so he can once again put his paw on it to stop it! It really was hilarious! With his massive paw on the tennis ball, he would bend down and check out all around the ball, before releasing it and repeating the steps. It really is funny how you can really tell the dogs personality and temperament by watching closely! When Brian said he was analytical with a very low prey drive, he meant it......but, I would add, unless he catches a really good scent! Yesterday when the ball rolled under some of the wheel chairs in the room which are next to the Big Wheel I told you about, I watched him slowly move from one side to the other seemingly studying each of the possibilities before choosing the best option and proudly carrying it back. **(The proudly part didn't really happen, he just brought the ball back, but it sounds better with the addition!)

We had our ADI test today, testing us on the skills we have learned in tandem with the dog. We both did great......except for one BLARING error on my part. Mr. Slow Mo was with us today(Tippy, for those who haven't been reading daily) and at one point a little girl asked if she could pet the dog. I remembered what Brian said to do, and told Tippy, aka MSM, down. So, I thought he was just going down veeeeerrrrry slowly again and then realized that he had stopped. I got flustered and corrected Tippy(with Brian telling me to do so.....) by tugging down on the lead. I then remembered I'm supposed to give the lead a quick "pop" up, and then a good tug down as a correction. Well, Tippy did eventually go down, and all turned out well, but, as Brian has told us it's better to have the dog in a down stay when children want to pet them because it puts them in a more submissive position and they are not able to reach their paw out for more attention,,,as Tippy sometimes does....and scratch the child's face. Chalk it up to "Lesson 5,349, learned"....at least I hope so!

Tonight is our "Meet and Greet". This is when we meet the dog's "Weekend Puppy Raiser" and any one else we may have put on the list. I don't expect many, if any, of the people on my list since they are now doing it on a weekday evening and most of my "people" live near me, 2 hours away, or further. But, I am looking forward to meeting the puppy raiser. In any case, it should be interesting!

Now......today is Alli's birthday. She is turning 4. I bought a card yesterday with Tippy's help. I just told him it was for the other woman......he was fine with that. I was sitting in the main lobby at the end of a delicious lunch when Sherrie Forest walked up to me and said, "Today is Alli's birthday". I said I knew and told her about the card. She then said to me, "Do you know why I know?" and I said no. Sherrie told me that Elizabeth, Alli's new "mom", had called and made a donation in my and Alli's name in honer or Al's birthday. Okay, Okay, I cried...... Does the kindness and compassion of this couple never end? I cannot tell you how awesome I felt. I just continue to be thankful that Elizabeth and Andy were in Alli's life and could love her as much as I do.....and not forget that! Truly faith in our fellow man must be possible when you are blessed to know and have a connection with individuals like Elizabeth and Andy. Alli is soooo special, and definitely deserves to be in a home such as theirs surrounded by their love........ OH, MY, GOD, TRULY SPECIAL PEOPLE!

There is nothing more to be said.........

No comments:

Post a Comment