Wednesday, February 8, 2012

4 DAYS UNTIL NEADS!!!!!!!

So, the picture to the left is all I'm going to say about the Giant's win......I'm a good loser, but I'm also a good winner.

Enough said. It is only 4 days until I head to NEADS. I move in on Sunday afternoon for 2 weeks. I'll have a "house" meeting that evening, and then training begins on Monday. If the routine is the same as before, and why shouldn't it be...it has proven to work, we will meet in the conference room Monday morning. I think we'll discuss the general info that we need for the week, as well as our partner's "supplies". We should get the training manual at that time. That is like the "bible" of training. It gives all the procedures, commands, and schedules needed for the 2 weeks. We are without the dogs during the first morning, but meet them after lunch and begin training with them.

I've gotten the necessary items I should have before leaving for NEADS. A new crate as the last one was barely big enough for Alli and Tippy is a bit larger, a bed for the crate, new bowls since the dark blue ones threw Alli for a loop for a while, his food which is By Nature Adult Formula and lastly....a seat belt for Tippy. I sent my old ones with Alli and I'm not sure they'd fit anyway. The dogs need to be tethered since they are taught not to be afraid of cars. In an accident, if the door is opened, the dog could jump out into traffic. I started with just a leash w/ Al, but soon learned that a harness type restraint was best for the dog. While I will try very hard not to compare Tippy to Alli, she did help me to find the best way to accomplish most activities, I certainly have learned from mistakes made early on and will use that to guide me this time. I don't think there's a danger of me comparing the 2 dogs specifically since Alli is a female and Tippy.....is not! But, I am human....so it will be trial and error for awhile. I actually called Alli "Simba" several times. He was our Samoyed Shepherd cross that we had for nearly 13 years, after rescuing him from the CT Humane Society when he was about 9-10 mos. We put Simba "down" shortly before his 14th birthday and while he was certainly not a service dog, he was the best companion! In any case, even this past season after having Alli for nearly 2 years I called her Simba at least once or twice!

I've already begun to sort out my clothes for the first week, and will probably just pack for the second as well. I've been watching the temperature for both our area, near the mouth of the CT River, and for NEADS in Princeton, MA. It seems to be a difference of about 5-10 degrees, with Princeton being the colder. That's okay, I actually prefer the colder weather. For the most part, it allows me to breathe better except if it gets too cold and dry out. The humidity in the warm summer weather makes it difficult to breathe due to my restrictive lung disease, and the very cold air in winter is difficult because of my asthma. In other words, damned if I do, and damned if I don't! Ah, such is life! I also enjoy the winter weather when it comes to clothing. I have never been one to be comfortable in "my own skin", so the layers worn in winter are just perfect for my self confidence and self esteem......go figure......even at 53 I think about that.

Tomorrow I am going to be at the Rhode Island State House. Being one of the original "subjects" for the "INvisible Project" I try to be present when it is being shown. For those who haven't read about it previously, it's a photo-journalistic display of ten "subjects" who live productive lives despite living with constant pain. To check it out, go to the website which I will post below...along with the NEADS website address. This is also how I got involved with the US Pain Foundation. I am an "advocate" for them, and have so enjoyed being involved once again in conferences. The president and co-founder, Paul Gileno, lives with RSDS and is truly an inspiration for those who are chronic pain survivors.

I am hoping to be able to connect to the internet at NEADS so I can post nightly, but that didn't work out very well last time.....fingers crossed!!

Wendy

www.neads.org
www.invisibleproject.org

2 comments:

  1. Julie, Bixler, and I wish you the best at NEADS and hope your pairings and exercises go well. (Does this mean we will be seeing you at this year's graduation in March?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, We'll be there!!!! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete