Thursday, February 16, 2012

Great First Night, Great Day Today.........

I was going to post another picture that I took tonight, but it would look almost identical to last night's except he's curled the other way....so I didn't!

We got off to a great start today! Tippy was still so tired from our play session yesterday, that I woke up before him! Now that the dogs are with us full time, we're responsible for exercising them twice a day for at least 30 minutes each time. I woke him, put his Gentle Leader on with leash, and took him out to....well you know!?! Success! Next, I fed Tippy at about 6:45 am. This morning he got just 3/4 of a cup in his bowl because I was to put 1.5 cups in my "treat pouch" for the day's training. At the end of the day I can add the unused food to his 3/4 c making the day's ration 3 c. After he ate we sat on my bed and "talked" while he checked out the room and I was petting him. He came with me into the bathroom(a requisite),while I showered, then into my room to dress, and then I was ready for my breakfast! I skipped my nebulizer treatment because it startled him last night and I wanted to get feedback from Brian, or Erin as she filled in for him for an hour or two. We had another great "play" session before our morning training began. Erin had us do the Level 1, and Level 2 "recall" again, and then we started some new stuff using "Shaped Behavior". A shaped behavior is the type that you can't physically make the dog do, like light switches and handicapped door pads. The dogs have no idea they're turning the lights on or off, or that they are making the doors open. They just know that when they're told to "nudge", they're going to press their nose on a square or circular spot, and when told "paws", they're going to jump up and paw at those same areas. Behaviors like "sit", "down", "stay", and "stand" are examples that you can make the dog do. The "nudge", and "paws" commands are taught in steps, beginning with rewarding the dog each time he does a desired part of the behavior you're aiming for. If you want to teach him to "nudge" the light switch on, each time he goes in the direction you want you say "Yes", and he's rewarded. Next time he know that if he goes that far he'll get a treat and maybe he'll move a little farther at which time you again say "Yes" and reward him, and so on, and so on. Erin had us practice the recalls again outside and then we broke for lunch. Brian arrived back at that point and he, Erin, and Andy w/ Richie came into the house and Brian advised me on the best way to introduce Tippy to the nebulizer.....great help! After lunch we headed to a Walmart for a field trip and practiced more "leave it", "up", walking through isles and check-out lines.

We returned back and worked on "fetch" with Brian in the training room. Tippy LOVES to "fetch"! He's been bringing anything on the floor to me w/out being asked since lunch time the other day. Even though I know the procedure, I didn't practice "fetch" with Tippy until we went over it in class He's even taken my Canadian crutch from where it's leaning on the wall when we're in my room and brought it to me!!! I know this will really come in handy..... It's one of the only things he does a bit faster. I've begun to call him Mr. Slow Mo, for his slow, deliberate motion. Brian says he's an analytical thinker. He's also sometimes Mr. No Mo!

Tonight he didn't have any problem and I'm sure it's because I followed the routine Brian suggested. He actually ended up with his head on my foot, sound asleep and snoring.

We had another great play time and after a couple of hours he ate his much appreciated 3/4 c along with the added food he didn't use as treats.

Tippy is now snoring, and groaning in his sleep, and it makes me realize that I'm exhausted......And sooooo thankful that NEADS has been able to be such a positive force in my life, the quality of which has most definitely improved since becoming a part of the NEADS Family ........

Good Night To You All,
And Thank You Tippy!
Peace,
Wendy

***It is now 9:59 pm, and I have no idea why it says I posted at 6:03pm!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. General says he can't wait to meet Tippy --we'll have to arrange a visit

    ReplyDelete