Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Finally!!!!

Well, I'm sorry I didn't post last night, but boy was I pooped! I had forgotten about all the "up, down, up, down, etc.... When there were 4 of us there was more time between turns. With just Andy and myself, you barely have time to sit before you're up for your turn again!

Andy is my classmate, and his dog is Richie. Richie and Tippy look so much alike, it's almost hard to believe they're from different litters. But I'll explain more in a minute. I'd like you to get to know Andy. He is a young man of just 21 years of age. He is already a combat vet. In 2010, he lost his leg in Afghanistan. What a debt of gratitude we owe these young soldiers who sacrificed so much for our country. He is most definitely a gentleman, something I think we see far to little of these days. Andy has such a positive outlook on life! He is extremely active despite the difficulties and surgeries he's needed to care for his "residual limb". He's a swimmer, hoping to get back into skiing and snowboarding, and just yesterday he received a call asking him to be on a wheelchair basketball team. I think we can all learn a lesson from him. Next time you "whine" or complain about life, take a moment to think about others who truly have reason to complain and don't......

Enough of the introducing......on to the meat of the matter! Both of our dogs are doing extremely well, and we have had to make very few corrections. Brian(our trainer) says that while it's good, we're not seeing behaviors that tend to require a correction so we may not know to correct it when it does occur. The dogs have almost opposite temperaments. Richie is a "go getter", the type that Brian says is perfect for the veterans. When he is asked/told to do something he snaps to and does it. Tippy is more of a laid back pup, and looks at me the whole time he is completing a task as if to say, "Am I doing it right?". Brian prepared us for our dogs by telling us these things in our orientation session yesterday morning. And what's really cool is that he was so spot on in his explanation! Never is it more apparent then when I give Tippy the "down" command. It is honestly sooooo hard not to chuckle as he completes the behavior. First he looks up at me, and then his "rump" sloooooowly slides back, and then while still looking at me his front legs begin to slooooooowly slide forward. No, really!!! It truly looks like you're watching a slow motion replay. And it is so obvious in his face that he is wanting to make sure that I'm pleased with what he's doing. Brian said that Tippy really wants to do exactly what's asked of him and likes the confirmation of a job well done. I rarely have to correct him for not performing correctly, he does everything that's asked of him. It's just slooooooooow! A year ago, it may have been hard for me to adjust to this slow, deliberate motion, but then again, I wouldn't have been matched with Tippy. Now, my balance and strength are such that I welcome his attitude and feel that once again NEADS has made the perfect match.....with both of our dogs. It's so amazing..... Not only can you see the bonding taking place, but it's palpable....and it feels so good to once again receive the greatest gift.....the gift of unconditional love and freedom!

So yesterday we worked with the dogs for just over 2 1/2 hours but accomplished so much. Hence the early bedtime and no post. I didn't even do my nebulizer because I was just so exhausted, pain in my back, and once again a headache. We worked on: "Sit", "Sit Stay", "Down", "Down Stay", "Kennel", and "Leave It". It may not look or sound like a lot, but considering that the dogs are just learning to get their commands from us it really is! Oh, and we had to start with learning to say "Right" if the dog is on your right(like Tippy and me) to put them in the correct position along side to give the command, "Tippy, let's go". Andy has Richie on his left, so obviously he would command Richie to come along side on his left and then the rest is the same.

Today was our first full day. We began in the morning with a review and practice of the above commands, and then worked on: "Through" and "Back". Yesterday's commands are pretty much self explanatory, with the possible exception of "Kennel". When we give the command, the dog goes into the kennel/crate and turns around. He then might automatically lay down, but if not that's okay, and you give him the command "Down", then "Stay". Once they're down, you reward them with a treat, and close the kennel door. You then walk out of sight for around 5 minutes. You once again go to the kennel, command "Stay", open the door, tell him "Good Boy", give him a reward, close the door and tell him to "Stay", and once again walk out of sight for about the same amount of time. When you return you open the door, call his name and when he emerges YOU DO NOT PRAISE OR TREAT! You want him to be rewarded for staying nicely in the kennel so he feels it's a good thing. You do not treat him for coming out because you don't want him to think "if I come out it's a good thing". After you've moved some distance away from the kennel, you can pet him or if at home just allow him to come out and go about his business. When you give the command "Through", the dog leaves your side, walks in front of you, turns around and sits centered looking at you. When we practiced this, we also used "Back". The command "Back" tells the dog to step back once. If you need him farther, you repeat "Back" each time you want him to move back some more. This is one of the only commands where it is okay, even necessary, to repeat a command.

My arms are getting tired, so our afternoon trip to the grocery store may end up as a condensed version. Oh, I almost forgot! There was a luncheon and Andy and I were encouraged to attend. After nearly everyone was done eating the CEO, Gerry DeRoche, had everyone introduce themselves to us, tell us what their position/function is at NEADS. Andy and I were then encouraged to introduce ourselves along with a little something about each of us. I really liked this experience, and feel it should be repeated with each training class. I always say that NEADS is the family that chooses to accept you and it's always nice to learn about family members. I also have to interject here that when we walked into the main building for our first day and orientation, Sherrie Forest, who is at the front desk and Gerry's assistant, looked at me and said, "Welcome Home".....it still gives me a warm feeling. That's what family members are supposed to do when family comes to visit.....Sherrie is certainly the best person to greet anyone who enters!

So this afternoon we went on a field trip. I love the field trips, I'm always so proud to be seen in public with my "partner"! We entered Stop & Shop and proceeded to walk to the other end of the store all the while watching the dogs in case it was necessary to tell them to "Leave It", or any other undesirable behavior. We had very little need, and were pretty much able to walk through the store simply praising the dogs continuously for their good behavior. We stopped to practice "Under" at a table that was set up and again the dogs did well. I think I forgot to mention "Under" above. When you give the command, the dog goes under the bench, table or whatever, turns around and lays down. This is most often used at a restaurant or anywhere where it would be best for the dog to be "out of the way" Again, Tippy was like the little kid who want to do the right thing but is too tempted and gets caught. I think we were walking by the meat area, of course, when Tippy began to stare a little to intently. I caught it right away and told him to "Leave It". Well........just like a child who gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar, he reacted quickly but had that "sheepish" air about him that sad, "She caught me.....!" The rest of the visit went without incident, but once again it was a very long day.

We had to say "Good bye" once again and the dogs were taken into the kennel. BUT!!!! Tomorrow when the dogs come out in the morning for training, they're ours.....they don't go back to the kennel for the remainder of the 2 weeks. THIS is what we've been waiting for!!!!!

Have a great night, and I'll speak with you again tomorrow. Oh, how I LOVE this feeling of anticipation and excitement.......AT LAST!!!!

Peace,
Wendy & Tippy......YAY!!!

1 comment:

  1. What a great write-up of your fun (and grueling) and heart-warming adventure here at NEADS.

    ReplyDelete