Monday, November 23, 2009

Lets Give It Another Try!

It feels so good to be back home. Today Alli went with me to my neurologist's appointment. It was the first time! She did amazing! It's kind of neat that while she may get a little crazy at times, she fell right into step when she knew she was working. She was in down/stay in the waiting room and in the office, and as I stood and said; "Alli, side", she was right there! I can't believe the self-confidence and feeling empowered while Alli is with me.

Getting back to the training....... We went to Walmart after learning "up" with the dogs and "off" once again. We walked through the store and practiced "sit/stay", "down/stay", Level I recall, "up/off", and "under" once again. With Level I recall, you put the dog in "down/stay" while the gentle leader is still on. You walk about 6 feet away and call the dogs' name followed by "come". You can clap, say "good girl" anything except "come" or "come on" to encourage the dog to come to you. When she does come, you grab the flat collar while you say "sit" and give them a special treat right away as they do so. They learn to come and sit in front of you when they hear "come". We practiced "up" on....of all things.......stacks of dry dog food bags(I think they were the 20-30 lbs. bags). When we said "up", they were to put their two front paws on the top of the stack, about our waist high(maybe more). Then we would say "stay", praise them for following the command followed by "off" adding praise again. The dogs all did a great job! I am so glad I had my car up there because I was able to drive to the field trips and at the same time learn how to put Alli in the car and get her out safely.

Tomorrow.....Stop & Shop.........and Level II recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment