Monday, November 9, 2009

I'M IN LOVE.......OH....MY....GOSH!!!!!

Well, she was definitely worth the wait! Alli is absolutely amazing!!!!! She's big, she's got the sweetest face, and........she loves to give kisses!!!!! Of course, that means accepting all the "slobber" that comes with the kisses. We didn't meet our dogs until after lunch, but all 4 of them are amazing. Despite being trained by several people. to whom the dogs must give their undivided attention, they had great eye contact and followed the commands we gave almost w/out questioning. And talk about personality!!! Two of the dogs are brother and sister, Houdini and MagPie, and are both very laid back and easy going. The other male, Lucky, is quite the character enjoying his time on his back getting tummy rubs when not working! Alli is VERY boisterous and loves to push herself in as close to you as she can all the while being her happy frisky self! But, when it's time to work and the dogs are given the command it is straight back to business and they keep their adoring eyes on their "pack leader" ready to please!!!! Alli and Lucky are the largest, with Alli only slightly shorter at the shoulders. Houdini is next in size, but boy does he adore his "partner"........he probably maintained the best eye contact of any of the dogs today. MagPie is the smallest @ about 45 lbs, up to Alli and Lucky at 70 lbs each. The trainers, Brian and Erin, really seemed to hit the nail on the head when matching the dogs and their personalities with their partner. And......we all fell madly in love with our new found partner at first site.

We worked on "heel",(those of us who need the dog on the right side say "side" instead of "heel", though all the dogs are trained to follow both commands), "sit", "sit and stay" "under", "jump", "off" and "down"and "down stay". Tomorrow I believe we are going to a grocery store to learn how to maneuver and control the dog w/ commands so he can help with our needs.

The staff her at NEADS says the wireless is not working properly but someone is supposed to come tomorrow to do any repairs. Hopefully I'll be able to be on my own laptop tomorrow night so I can process my thoughts a bit more clearly.......I haven't had to sit at a wired computer in months so I find myself having to be very deliberate writing each post, and that's just not how I write. I tend to write like I'm speaking to someone........it didn't work so well at good old GHS, but it was a definite plus for me in college. I hope everyone has a great night.....perhaps I've helped to put you to sleep.........talk to you tomorrow!!!(I hope to be able to include a picture of Alli w/ tomorrow's post!)

2 comments:

  1. Wendy -
    Love reading every word you are writing about this experience. Wired or wireless your hapiness comes through it all. And the whole process is so fascinating. Look forward to learning more tomorrow.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete