Saturday, November 7, 2009

"Anticipation........." Carly Simon said it so well........

Wow!!!! Tomorrow's the 8th, that means Princeton, MA and NEADS!!!! In less than 48 hours I'll meet Alli! It seems that as the time nears I find more and more ways she will be able to help me and see the future a bit clearer. When I went to pick up prescriptions today I dropped my keys while shopping and again just before I left S&S. The second time I fell into the carts when I was trying to pick them up. I also dropped my cane as I was paying(both happen at least once every time I'm out) and thought how I'd soon have help in retrieving it.

Although I'm driving my car up tomorrow, Mark is following me since I am not usually able to drive any distance by myself. I want to have my car so that I can drive it home for the night on the 14th when I'll have Alli with me. I'm hoping to be able to drive a little bit more when she's with me. My daughter said that it's not like Alli will be able to drive for me, but I know I'll have a bit more confidence knowing I'll have the help I need when out. I let the NEADS people know that I will be having "helpers" off and on to help w/ meal prep so I'll either have an extra bed in my room, or another room will be available. My close friend Debbie will be coming up on the 13th to stay over and follow me home the next day. On the 19th or 20th my daughter, Emily, will come up from URI to follow me home on the 21st.

I had my bags packed last night, and just had to do meds and toiletries today. I've really had to space out any activities even at home or I can't complete anything. Tomorrow I'll go to church in the morning and then pack up dry goods and cold foods just before leaving around 4:00. We have a "meeting" @ 7:00 tomorrow night at the house and then we start our training at 10:00 am. Our day goes from 10:00 - 4:00 w/ and hour for lunch. **(This all actually reminds me of when I was readying to leave for college........just Willimantic......but it was a first and so is this!!) We have one "field trip" to a mall and food court or a small restaurant to see how our dogs handle it and of course how we will handle it as well. I'm also excited that I'll be going to meet the inmate who helped to raise Alli in the "Prison Pup" program.

Before I go for the night, I want to include a link for an article that a friend from high school sent to our "contact" classmate(He does an amazing job keeping everyone up to date on anything that we may find relevent!). It's an article that appeared in the New York Times on the 1st of November. It's an article discussing whether a dogs' brain is capable of learning how to react/follow commands or whether it's really just trained to perform in a certain manner. Well, it's actually explained much better and is quite thought provoking. Well, it's past my bedtime and I have an exciting day tomorrow. I'll bet back to the blog when I have some down time.
Good Night!

The link is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/01/weekinreview/01kershaw.html



No comments:

Post a Comment