Sunday, December 30, 2012

It's Been Too Long......

I wanted to begin with this photo of my 28 months old granddaughter, Maddy.  I believe that the holiday season is about innocence at it's core.  We never gave many gifts at home when the children were small.  Not only was it kinder on the finances of a young family, moreover, we felt it was important that they understood what Christmas truly is. A birthday.  The birthday.  I used to tell Bethany, Aaron, and Emily, that we were fortunate that Jesus chose to share such a special day with each of us.  May we all enjoy the innocence of a child....... 

It has been 2 1/2 months since my last post.  I had a very difficult late summer and fall with my health.  The 2 previous summers I found myself in the ICU at the end of August due to breathing issues.  Since all of my issues stem from my ever weakening proximal muscles, the stress of dealing with heavy(humid) summer air leads to my being unable to take in adequate breaths.....thus, I find myself in a panic situation.  This year, I refused to be admitted, agreed to breathing treatments and IV fluids in the ER, and came home when I felt I was out of the woods.  I was able to continue the breathing treatments round the clock at home, in a much calmer atmosphere.  Unfortunately, this also meant that I wasn't able to rest enough and the exacerbation hung on well into autumn.  After several courses of antibiotics, and much prednisone, my breathing was less labored and I could begin to enjoy life again.  Thank God that I had Tippy by my side all the while.  I struggle with severe depression due to my health issues, and without him it would have been extremely easy for me to sink into a "funk".  There is most definitely something to be said for the look of a Lab, that unconditional love and approval that only a dog can provide.  The warmth of his eyes, and of his snuggle close beside you.

I pretty much went from being sick and "down for the count" to up and going with responsibilities for US Pain(which I truly had missed during my "hiatus"), NEADS graduation, Thanksgiving, being present for the Essex(CT) Rotary "table" at the "Ivoryton Illuminations, then of course events leading up to....and including Christmas!

I have to say that the highlight of the fall season was most definitely NEADS graduation.  It's always an event I look forward to, but this one was extra special....perhaps even including my own graduations with Alli and then Tippy.  Not only was Tip's WPR(Weekend Puppy Raiser) Anne-Marie in attendance, but the couple who named him was also present!  Tippy was named by Andrea, whose father had had a dog named Tippy as a young man.  This is why I think it's so special that people donate to NEADS to name a puppy. The names come from a variety of origins, but I personally like it when a name is chosen to honor a loved one who has passed.  That way, the name continues to "live on".  As in Tippy's case, Andrea's father has passed away, but the name of his beloved pet as a child is once again making it's way in the world.  How special is that?  Now that I know the reason for his name, "Tippy" is perfect.....just as perfect as he is.  

I had 3 trips this fall for US Pain.  The first was in Connecticut, supporting open access to all pain medications shown to be effective to be on the Medicaid Formulary.  I testified for "Neuro-pathic pain" medications.  The committee approved the proposed meds.  Next, Mark and I traveled to Washington, D.C. to testify before the FDA committee regarding a "New Drug Application" for a pain med.  It was actually a bit more controversial than I expected....and the committee did not approve the application.  The FDA does not always take the committee's decision, but I believe this time they will.  The pharmaceutical company was told to create a safer means of dispensing, i.e. more difficult to abuse.  We were in D.C. for 3 days, Thursday to Saturday I then went to RI, accompanied by Emily, the following Tuesday to make a statement on Wednesday for US Pain before a committee similar to the one in Connecticut.  While it was a whirlwind few weeks, I do love to get away, and it's quite fulfilling knowing that I am hopefully able to make a positive difference in the lives of chronic pain sufferers.

Being with the Rotary for the lighting of the Christmas lights in our very small town felt right on so many levels.  I will always help the Rotary when asked, both because they are a great service organization, and because they donated $8,500 toward the partnership between Tippy and me.  Bishop's Orchard donated 1,000 cider doughnuts  to the Rotary to give out at the event.  They had a table in the Ivoryton Inn, and as it turned out, "Guiding Eyes of Southeastern Ct" happened to be right next to us at a right angle.  The twist is that Tippy is a product of the Guiding Eyes breeding program.  He was never "in" the training program.  When puppies in their litters are not the desired temperament, "GE's" offers them to other Service Dog organizations for a fee.  Alli was actually a GE's dog too.  Tippy would not have been a good guide for the blind because he prefers to wait for direction, he doesn't like to make mistakes.  A guide dog for the blind, needs to be a dog who can lead, take charge, waiting for direction could be dangerous for his/her partner.  We were graced by the presence of 3 puppies that GE's puppy raisers brought for their organization, 2 yellow Labs, and 1 black Lab.  SO CUTE!!!  

 
 Finally, let me finish with the absolute joy I shared with Tippy in the fresh snowfall yesterday and today.  I'm sure there will be a lot more happy days shared in the snow, but I want to share a picture and a video that I took today....10 1/2" of pure white bliss lends itself to the best medicine there is....laughter!!!

This first one has Tippy doing the "Snow Dog Shimmy"





Next, this photo shows the caring, loving, face of my best friend, my partner...... 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment