Sunday, May 13, 2012

PHEW!!!!!! TIPPY READ THE WHOLE EYE CHART!!!!!

I think this picture says it all!!  Dr. Federica Maggio, DVM, a Veterinary Ophthalmologist, administered the exam and was so happy to be able to give the good news!  She examined Alli last year and was so very compassionate that I never even considered going to another doctor.The entire Tufts VETS(Veterinary Emergency Treatment and Specialties) staff is so warm and caring.  The exam is so comprehensive....very similar to what a "human" ophthalmologist might do.  Perhaps even a bit more so!  Dr. Maggio truly loves these animals, I think she was just as happy to give the good news, as I was to receive it!  My friend Cindy was with me, as she was when we took Alli, and she was a great support.....EXCEPT.....I saw Dr. Maggio give a slight smile, and thought I heard her say, "That looks good" while giving the exam.  I looked over at Cindy and she had a very serious look on her face and her lip was quivering.  For a moment I thought that maybe I had heard the doctor wrong.  Nevertheless, the end result was great, and both Tippy and I are blessed to be able to be a team for years to come!  Dr. Maggio loved how happy we were, and of course Tippy had won everyone over, so she asked if she could take a couple pictures.  Of course I said yes.  She sent me the 3 pics, and I absolutely love this one.  Tippy and I do "hugs" often and I believe he knows that it's comforting to me......I wonder what emotion it stirs in him......

When we left Tufts in Walpole, MA, we headed over to NEADS to share the good news!  I had made a large bread pudding to celebrate the results of the test with the staff there.  I'm not sure what I would have called it had the news not been good.  Sherrie Forest and Kathy Foreman were there when we arrived and I reported immediately the positive outcome.  They both said that Tippy looks great.  I think so too, but it's always good to hear it from those who are "in the know" about such things.  I am very diligent when it comes to meals, treats, training and exercise with him so there really shouldn't be a problem.  Everyone also said that he looks bigger than when we left.  It's entirely possible since he is now 19 months though he should be nearly done growing.  His weight remains about the same, 82.2 lbs.  While we were at NEADS, we learned that there was one new puppy in the Early Learning Center(aka the "Puppy House").  Cindy and I wanted very much to visit, but Tippy isn't allowed.  Partly because the pups have not had all of their "shots" and could "catch" something from the older dogs, and partly for the reverse.......  Sherrie said that Tip could stay in John Moon's office since he was on vacation.  I put Tippy in a "Down/Stay", Sherrie put up the gate across the door, and I told Tippy to stay one more time.  I mentioned that I fully expected him to be in the same place when I returned, then we went up to see the puppy.  The Puppy House is at the top of the driveway, in a house next door.  We met radar, said hello to those who work and volunteer there, chatted a bit and returned to the main building about 20-25 minutes later.  Sherrie was standing near John's office speaking with Paula and for a moment I thought that Tippy had been moving around.  But, true to his nature, Tippy was in the exact same spot, with his head on his front paws looking at the door!  Sherrie said I could exercise Tippy up in the training room, as I was waiting to possibly speak with Brian concerning Tippy's timid response to playing with other dogs.  Brian had taken a puppy to it's prison destination, but when he returned he was in a bit of a hurry to leave and I didn't want to delay him.  I'm quite sure he didn't know, at the time, that I was there.  I left quietly before him and Cindy and I headed off for lunch.  Lunch was at a "99" restaurant, was quite good, and quite relaxing.  Tippy was awesome, as always!

On Wednesday Tippy, Cindy, and I are headed to New Jersey to speak to the New Jersey Society of Interventional Pain Physicians about "Step Therapy/Fail First" legislation and the importance of their support of their patients as we work toward eliminating the practice.  *(Sorry for the run-on sentence!)  I surprise myself in that I'm truly looking forward to doing this, and more of it.....Service Dogs have not only allowed me to regain some of my lost independence, I feel that they have afforded me a new avenue to follow in life, pretty cool, huh?  I am hoping to connect with Eddie, and his service dog, Houdini, while in New Jersey.  Eddie was in my NEADS class in November of 2009.  Paul suggested that I check with Eddie about possibly being involved with US Pain issues.  I'm so looking forward to seeing him again.  I think it's been since the Fall of 2010.....too long!

Finally.....Please send healing prayers to my good friend and fellow classmate, Karin(she received "Lucky" when I received Alli).  She is having serious medical complications and is in the ICU.  She has had to deal with so much and, while she is an extremely strong and courageous woman, she has had enough for the time being.....please hold her in your prayers........

Wendy and Tippy 

No comments:

Post a Comment