Saturday, March 3, 2012

Busy 1st Week!

We had a very busy 1st week home. I guess you could almost say "trial by fire"! We arrived home from NEADS on Friday the 24th of February. We didn't come directly home, though. I decided to stop at URI for my daughter to meet Tippy, but more so that we could walk Tippy through one of the theaters. Emmy is in the production of "Tartuffe"("The Impostor") by the URI theater department. We had tickets for Saturday night, and since we were just coming home, I thought it would be a good idea for Tippy to at least have some familiarity with the theater. As it turned out, the doors were locked so I had Tippy sniffing around both entrances. He looked a bit like a "bomb sniffing" dog. It was almost comical. When we arrived back at URI on Saturday night, I realized that I don't go in either of the entrances.....Michael(the theater manager) takes me down via the elevator. Oh, well, at least Tippy had a mild introduction ahead of time! Em had reserved seats for 5 of us. I sat in the 2nd row on the floor with Tippy and my friend Cindy. We had the first two seats in from the isle. I have found through experience with Alli that the isle seat allows for plenty of ventilation.....and a good view from under the seats! Mark, Aaron and Pat(Mark's mom) sat behind us. I had forgotten the "set up) of the story by Moliere. "J" Studio, where we were, is small, very dark(all the walls are black), and everything is very up close and personal. When the play began, the participants came running from all angles and were VERY loud! Tippy was laying at my feet on his side. I knew we were "home free" when Tippy's reaction to the din was to merely stretch his neck so that he could see the action!

On Monday we went to the Essex Town Hall to get Tippy's license. That's the picture above. I told him he needed to take it very seriously because he was about to become a Connecticut resident. As you can see, he did! This was just after receiving his "tag".

Tuesday, late afternoon or evening, I received an e-mail from Paul(US Pain Foundation) which he had forwarded to me. It told of a bill coming before the Health and Human Services committee in RI the next day. It was similar to the CT bill that I had helped with last year pertaining to "Step Therapy", aka "Fail First" as it relates to prescription medication. RI's is different in that it is not as narrowly defined as the CT bill. It encompasses all rx's, not just pain meds. as in CT. I asked Paul if he'd like me to attend, and he thought it would be a good idea, along with my NEADS classmate(from Alli's class), Ellen Smith, a Rhode Island resident and advocate for Ehlers Danlos, American Pain Foundation and RI Arthritis Assoc. As I'm sure most of you are aware that Wednesday was a terrible day for winter weather in New England. I typed up a few notes and, wouldn't you know, I was in such a hurry to get ahead of the weather I left the notes home. I actually drove to Ellen's home and then rode with them to Providence. As the hearing was scheduled for 4:30 pm, I did not want to drive through Providence traffic at rush hour in the snow/sleet/rain. Ellen and I both testified, after which we felt somewhat positive. It was difficult to judge the direction the bill will take. Of course, BC/BS, CVS, etc., were present to speak against the bill. We left after our testimony, but by the questions we were asked by the senators on the committee, it seems that it may move forward with an amendment or two. Tippy was amazing! I have such eye contact with him, that at times it's really almost eerie. One of the senators, before asking her questions of me, commented on how Tippy hadn't stopped staring at me the whole time.....she did notice that at times he was very close to the "treat pouch" with the sliced carrots I wear at my side! The picture below is of my testimony, with Tippy visible on the far side. I asked one of the pages to take a picture of Tippy with me "up" there, but it didn't dawn on me to put him on my opposite side. Once you begin to testify, that's not something that you have on your mind. Especially since I was working without any notes! About the only thing I get from this picture is that I need to lose weight. I know some people look in the mirror and see themselves as much heavier than they are.....I, however, have apparently been thinking I'm smaller than I am!!! I don't suppose a still camera adds 10.....or even 20.....pounds to the individual like a television camera.....I didn't think so!!!!! :( I have 2 weeks until our NEADS graduation and I think I'm going to try to lose a little.....right after my late breakfast with Deb this morning!

Until next time,
Wendy & Tippy






No comments:

Post a Comment