Monday, April 25, 2011

Texas and Dr. Rhodes, here we come!!!!

**(This picture is from my training w/ Alli in Nov. '09, I didn't get one of her on the plane!)
Well, here we are on our way to Corpus Christi to see Dr. Rhodes. He’s at the “South Texas Innovative Medicine” clinic. The US Pain Foundation is taking care of the whole trip. I’m sincerely hoping that he is able to help me. Of course…..Alli is with me. At the moment we are in the air and so far I haven’t cried. Geezzzzzzz I hate flying! I think just having Alli with me has been enough of a comfort to get me through the 2 flights today! That, and being to see Karin and Lucky when we land in CC. Although I’m writing this while in the air, I’m going to have to post it later on the blog. I just wanted to keep up the blog. Alli has rolled w/ the punches so far. She was amazing as always last night. Mark had me get a room at the Hampton Inn LaGuardia so I wouldn’t be totally anxious on the drive down. Alli always loves the hotels…….everyone is always wonderful to us, and she gets to sleep on those amazing beds. I prefer the Westin…..especially the one in Times Square…….but Alli just loves any trip to anywhere. She was rubbing against me this morning and leaning hard, and that’s how she tells me one of those terrible migraines/TIA’s is coming. Since she’s been letting me know, I have gone down to maybe one that I can’t catch in time every 2 mos. or so….and that’s down from 3-4/month. She really is amazing! As my muscle weakness progresses, she’s been rolling with the punches and stepping up each time I need her. She continues to help prevent my falls, and when I do go down, she’s always right where I need her to be to help me up, all w/out being told. I’m sure I would not be making this trip were it not for her. I guess Mark would have come w/ me……I think he’s feeling a bit left out on this…….but he doesn’t always see the doctor’s appointments the same way as I do, meaning I think he needs to let me process everything the doc says before just focusing in on the good. I grab the good stuff when I can, but I also have to deal with the negatives, too. So, they put Alli and I in the “bulkhead” seat, but she’s really encroaching on the foot space for the gentleman sitting next to me. Darn good thing we got the tickets changed to ones which are acceptable under the Americans with Disabilities Act. It’s really too bad that 1st class is booked, because under the ADA, if there’s not adequate room for her(thereby me since she is an extension of me), they are required to bump us up to 1st class. Alli is just huge…..no “ands, ifs, or buts”…..even NEADS is surprised by her growth! I know Ellen can fit “Maggie” under the seat in front of her, but there’s noooooo way Alli could do that. Right now she’s sound asleep with her head in the aisle. I hope they let her stay there for awhile! I’ll post again tomorrow after I’ve seen the doctor!

I really don't know how I can ever thank Paul Gileno and the US Pain Foundation for making this all possible........Now I just pray it helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment